June 1, 2020
Request Copies by Mail

Records Management provides copy work for Civil, Family Law, Probate, Small Claims, and Unlawful Detainers files. For Juvenile, Criminal, and Traffic copies, please contact those units directly.

Please send your request to the Records Management Division:
San Mateo Superior Court
Records Management
400 County Center
1st Floor Room A
Redwood City, CA 94063

You will need to include:

  • Case Number
  • Parties Involved
  • Approximate Filed date of the document or description
  • Self-addressed postage paid envelope
  • Check made out to "Superior Court" with a "Not to exceed" amount written on the memo line.

If you do not have the case number, you may conduct a search by accessing our Public Records Index. If you do not know the date the document was filed, you may search for it by accessing our website. The Records Management Division does not research files.

Please send a blank check with an amount not to exceed written in the memo line. We will fill in the correct amount and provide you with a receipt showing the amount you were charged. Make your check payable to "Superior Court." Once your letter is received, you may expect a reply within 21 days.


  • Preparing a copy of any record, proceeding or paper on file GC 70627(a) $0.50 per side
  • Certified copy of marriage or domestic partnership dissolution record GC 70674 $15.00
  • Certifying a copy of paper, record, or proceeding on file GC 70626(a)(4) $40.00
  • Exemplification of record or other paper on file GC 70628 $50.00
  • Comparison of a copy with an original on file GC 70627(b) $1.00 per side
  • Searching records or files, for each search longer than 10 minutes GC 70627(c) $15.00
  • Retrieval of any file stored off site GC 70631 and CRC, Rule 10.815(b)(13) $10.00

For Criminal files

Click review Request Copies by Mail for information on how to request criminal files by mail

© 2020 Superior Court of San Mateo County