November 15, 2019
How to Change a Court Date

A continuance is a request to postpone a court date. It is requested from the Small Claims Clerk but can only be granted by the judge. To request a continuance, the court charges a fee of $10.

A continuance can be requested by mail by either party. The request is sent to the Small Claims Clerk's office along with a check for $10, payable to the court. A copy of your request for a continuance must be mailed to the other parties to the claim. Requests must be submitted at least 10 days in advance of the court date. If the continuance is granted, the hearing will be postponed for at least 15 days. Notice of the new date will be mailed to all parties.

If you do not have enough time before your court date to write for a continuance, you should either appear in court as scheduled and ask for a continuance, or bring a written statement explaining why you need a new court date to the Small Claims Clerk's office and ask to have it attached to your case file. There is a $10 fee for this service.

More on How to . . . »

© 2019 Superior Court of San Mateo County