January 27, 2020
Unpaid Wage Claims

An employee who

  • believes his/her employer has violated the law and
  • has not been paid for work performed

may have a claim for unpaid wages. Employees who qualify to use the services of the California Division of Labor Standards should file a claim with them before filing a claim in Small Claims Court. You may want to visit the California Department of Industrial Relations Division of Labor Standards Enforcement Public Information Unit website for additional information on filing a claim.

The Division office provides information about labor laws and alternative resources if you do not qualify to use its services. The 24-hour recording that provides information on how to file a claim can be accessed through the public information line. The public information number for the San Francisco division office is (415) 703-5444. The public information number for the San Jose division office is (408) 277-3711.

More on Common Types of Cases »

© 2020 Superior Court of San Mateo County