50% or 80% Discount on Old Unpaid Vehicle Code and Non-Vehicle Code Infractions Driver's License Reinstatement
The Amnesty Program begins October 1, 2015 and ends March 31, 2017.
Fine Reduction of 50% or 80%
Only Vehicle Code and non-Vehicle Code infraction cases that were due to be paid on or before January 1, 2013 are eligible. Parking tickets, driving under the influence (DUI) and reckless driving cases are NOT eligible. Eligible participants will not have to pay any civil assessments. Once the civil assessment amounts are deducted, the remaining balance owed will be reduced by 50% or 80% depending on the income or receipt of specified public benefits. To qualify for the 50% or 80% discount, all of the following conditions must be met:
- You have an outstanding Vehicle Code or non-Vehicle Code infraction case filed with the court that was due to be paid on or before January 1, 2013.
- You either failed to appear in court or failed to pay in full.
- The date you last made a payment (if any) was on or before September 30, 2015.
- You do not owe restitution to a victim on any case within the county where the violation was filed.
- You have no outstanding misdemeanor or felony warrants within the county where the violation was filed.
- To qualify for the 80% discount, you must be receiving specified public assistance or make 125% or less than the federal poverty level ($14,712 for an individual or $30,312 for a family of four). The discount will be 50% for all other eligible participants.
Driver's License Reinstatement
Infraction cases resulting in driving privilege restrictions are eligible. To qualify for driver's license reinstatement, all of the following conditions must be met:
- You are current on a collections payment plan. Any payment made after September 30, 2015 disqualifies a case from the reduction of the remaining fine amount. However, an individual's driver's license may still be reinstated.
- You have appeared and satisfied all court-ordered obligations.
- You have paid your fine in full, or agreed to the terms of the Amnesty payment plan.
How to Apply:
Starting October 1, 2015, if you meet the above eligibility criteria, you must complete and submit a Participation Form/Affidavit to the Court's Traffic Division at 500 County Center in Redwood City (for infraction citations filed in Traffic) or Criminal Division at 400 County Center, 4th Floor in Redwood City (for infraction citations filed in Criminal). A $50 amnesty program fee is required to participate. The Department of Motor Vehicles will also charge a separate $55 driver's license reinstatement fee for those eligible and requesting reinstatement of their driver's license You may submit your Participation Form/Affidavit during regular court clerk's office counter hours - 8:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. Monday - Friday. Participation/Affidavit forms and information are available on the court's website at www.sanmateocourt.org or at the Traffic and Criminal Clerk's Offices