Self-Help Center / Family Law Facilitator
Content available for other languages

NOTICE: For public health reasons, the Family Law Facilitator / Self-Help, office will be closed until further notice. Please return to this page for updates on this closure.
The Monday Landlord/Tenant clinic has been suspended.
Please see the small claims page for information on our Small Claims Advisor telephone appointments.
We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
For urgent questions, please use our expanded LiveChat hours available at the bottom right corner of this page.

The Self-Help Center / Family Law Facilitator (SHC/FLF) helps people who need legal information but do not have lawyers. Help is free.

  • The Office of the Family Law Facilitator is closed for in person services until further notice. Please contact our online livechat service which is available Monday to Friday from 8:30am to 12:00pm and Monday to Thursday from 1:00pm to 4:00pm.
Hours and Location
Southern Branch: Hall of Justice and Records
400 County Center -- 2nd Floor
Redwood City, California
Tel: (650) 261-5010
  • Our services are available by LiveChat.
We also have:
  • Workshops as available. Please ask what workshops are available for your situation.
Northern Branch: Hall of Justice
1050 Mission Road
South San Francisco, California
Tel: (650) 261-5010
  • Our services are available by LiveChat.


Types of Cases the SHC/FLF Can Help With
  • Divorce or legal separation, like:
    • Starting the petition or completing a response
    • Completing Preliminary Declaration of Disclosure
    • Preparing Default Judgment
    • Writing up agreements or stipulated judgments
    • Preparing the order after you go to court
  • Child support, spousal or partner support, like:
    • Calculating the amount of support
    • Filling out forms to set up or change support, back support (arrears), and medical reimbursement
    • Filling out Income & Expense Declarations
    • Helping mediate the amount of support
    • Writing up agreements
    • Preparing the order after you go to court
  • Child custody and parenting time (visitation), like:
    • Asking to get or change a custody and parenting time order
    • Writing up agreements
    • Preparing the order after you go to court
  • Establishing or disputing parental relationship (parentage or paternity)
  • Domestic violence restraining orders
  • Name Changes of Minors or Adults
  • Stepparent Adoptions
  • Grandparent Visitation

Visit our Self-Help Center home page to get more information about these types of cases.

For other types of cases, visit Additional Resources and Help.


What to Bring to the SHC/FLF
  • Bring all papers about your case, like court forms, legal papers, paystubs or other proof of income for the last 2 months, bills, police reports, receipts, etc.
  • Do not bring children under 18 to our office. Ask someone to watch them while you meet with us. No childcare is currently available at the courthouse.
  • If you do not speak English well, we will make every effort to help you in your language with available staff or interpreters. But you may want bring an adult with you to help you with English and your language.
How the SHC/FLF Can Help You